HDX In-Wall Powered Subwoofer
It's a common problem. You need some way to power the .1 channel in your surround sound recordings, or maybe you simply want to add deep bass to a room's existing stereo speakers, but you can't, or don't want to, take up any additional space. Our unique in-wall subwoofer and digital amplifier design is the perfect, affordable solution.
Sure, other so-called "in-wall subwoofers" have been around for a while, but most designs typically fall into one of two categories: 1) they are simply an in-wall speaker where the tweeter (high frequencies) has been removed, or 2) they require a significant reconstruction of your wall in order to place the subwoofer's "cabinet" inside. With the former, the sound improvement is no better, and often worse than that achieved by using a good quality in-wall speaker with an 8" woofer, such as our HDX-R80. With the latter, the cost of the cabinet-style subwoofer and the cost of having it professionally installed and amplified is exorbitant- $600-1500 is not uncommon.
Our approach with this new design was to find a solution somewhere in between. It requires a combination of a high quality driver, solid mounting system, and a separate digital amplifier. We use a 10" long-throw aluminum driver in order to achieve those really deep frequencies that make watching movies and listening to music so much more lifelike. But this driver pushes enough air and produces enough impact that it was not possible to simply install it in the same manner as our other in-wall speaker models. Through careful planning and design, we created wooden in-wall braces that cleverly fit through the hole cut-out and mount directly to your existing wood studs. Once in place the subwoofer can be securely installed with four screws that sandwich the drywall between the braces and the speaker frame.
Our SDA-120 digital subwoofer amplifier was also carefully designed with features that allow the amplifier to be connected either directly to the LFE (subwoofer) output on your home theater receiver OR "in-line" using the speaker cables already in place for existing speakers in a room. And with some pre-planning, it is possible to easily add this subwoofer into any zone of a whole-house audio system. Watch the video.
And because it is difficult to discern the location from which low frequencies (below 80Hz) emanate, you can place the subwoofer almost anywhere in the room and still achieve good results. The grille and frame can also be painted making the speaker virtually disappear in your room's decor. Of course, for best performance, some locations in a room are better than others and if you'd like assistance with speaker location, please call us at our toll free number. We're glad to help and are certain you'll find our experienced support reps a great, and free, resource for helping make your home audio project a success.
- 10" aluminum cone with butyl rubber surround for long life
- Power handling: 120 watts RMS, 150 watts program
- Frequency response: 34 Hz - 200 Hz
- Flush-mount grille and frame provides clean, professional appearance
- Reinforced resonant-absorbing ABS polymer frame
- Moisture-resistant design includes powder-coated aluminum grille that will not rust
- Grille and frame can be painted to match any decor
- Impedance: 4 ohms
- Sensitivity: 88dB
- Dimensions: 12 3/8" x 12 3/8"
- Hole Cutout: 11 1/4" x 11 1/4" template included
- Special wood braces included and required; will work with wood studs spaced 15" to 18" on center (note: most walls are built with studs spaced at 16" on center)
- Minimum install depth: 4"
- Weight (without amp or braces): 15 lbs
- Includes 120 Watt RMS High Efficiency Digital Amplifier with:
LFE (subwoofer) RCA-type Input
Hi Level (speaker level) inputs and outputs
Auto-on capability with dual color LED indicator (amber:stand-by; blue:on)