SDX-W65 Single Speaker
Sold here as a single speaker, the SDX-W65 is perfect for completing your surround sound system and for use in whole-house audio where only one speaker can be installed.
In home theater, it is often used in height and surround locations, and occasionally is necessary as a front center channel speaker when cables have been run for a ceiling installation (however, in most cases, we recommend that the center channel speaker be as close to the screen as possible and on the same plane).
When using a single SDX-W65 in a room for whole-house audio, you will have to choose between listening to the left channel of a stereo recording or the right channel, unless you have an amplifier that will "sum" these two channels before sending the signal to the speaker. Our whole-house multi-channel amplifiers (excluding model MCA-66) and our sub-zone amplifiers include this feature. If your amplifier does not include this feature and you can only fit one speaker into the room, it is possible to combine the left and right channel at the speaker BUT you must use a special speaker (not the SDX-W65) AND you must run 4-conductor cable (or two 2-conductor cables) to the speaker, i.e. run your cable as if two separate speakers are being installed at the same location. Click here for more information.
It is ideal for use in small and mid-sized rooms, both for entry-level home theater and background music for whole-house audio. The 6.5" polypropylene woofer produces warm mid and low frequencies and the aimable silk dome tweeter blends with smooth and clear highs. Polypropylene is used in many of today's better in-wall and in-ceiling speakers because it is lightweight, rigid, and cost-effective to produce. A light cone means the speaker is fast which is important for accuracy and detail; the more rigid the cone membrane the less the cone warps during movement, again resulting in a more accurate performance. Silk dome tweeters accurately reproduce the high frequencies and offer a smoother tone than other, less expensive fabric tweeters.
Like all of the speakers in our SDX line, the SDX-W65 includes an aimable tweeter that is recessed behind the grille. This allows the highest, most directional frequencies to be aimed at the primary listening area while allowing the speaker to maintain its flush-mount appearance. Tone is controlled through a +/-3dB switch for the high frequencies. This feature (normally found only on more expensive speakers) allows you to customize the sound to your room and personal taste.
The speaker is easy to install and includes all mounting hardware, a template for cutting the hole, and an Owner's Manual with an installation guide and tips to ensure your speakers look and sound great for years to come. Both of the included grille options and the polymer frame can be painted to match your decor.
All HTD speakers include a 5-year warranty and 30-day no-risk guarantee.
- 6.5" polypropylene cone with butyl rubber surround for long life
- 1" silk dome tweeter
- "Ball and Socket" pivoting tweeter can be aimed towards your listening area
- Power handling: 75 watts RMS, 90 watts program
- Frequency response: 70 Hz - 20 kHz
- Quick-turn "dog leg" brackets for easy installation (no rough-in kit required)
- Extremely low-profile design - two flush-mount grille options included with every speaker provide a clean, professional appearance
- +/- 3dB tweeter switch allows you to fine tune each speaker to your room and personal taste
- Reinforced resonance-absorbing ABS polymer frame
- Moisture-resistant design includes a non-rust powder-coated aluminum grille
- Grilles and frame can be painted to match any decor
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Sensitivity: 90dB
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 11-1/2" x 8-1/2" x 3-1/2"
- Hole Cutout (HxW): 10-3/4" x 7-3/4" (template included with speakers)
- Minimum install depth: 3-5/8"; Maximum wall thickness: 1-1/4"
- Weight (per piece): 4 lbs
Specifications are preliminary and subject to change.