HDX-R80 Single Speaker
The HDX-R80 is an exceptional in-ceiling speaker. Sold here as a single speaker, it is perfect for completing your surround sound system and for use in whole-house audio where only one speaker can be installed.
In home theater, it is often used in height and surround locations, and occasionally is necessary as a front center channel speaker when cables have been run for a ceiling installation (however, in most cases, we recommend that the center channel speaker be as close to the screen as possible and on the same plane).
When using a single HDX-R80 in a room for whole-house audio, you will have to choose between listening to the left channel of a stereo recording or the right channel, unless you have an amplifier that will "sum" these two channels before sending the signal to the speaker. Our whole-house multi-channel amplifiers (excluding model MCA-66) and our sub-zone amplifiers include this feature. If your amplifier does not include this feature and you can only fit one speaker into the room, it is possible to combine the left and right channel at the speaker BUT you must use a special speaker (not the HDX-R80) AND you must run 4-conductor cable (or two 2-conductor cables) to the speaker, i.e. run your cable as if two separate speakers are being installed at the same location. Click here for more information.
It is ideal for use in most mid-sized rooms, both for home theater and for high quality whole-house audio. The 8" aluminum woofer produces warm mid and low frequencies and the anodized aluminum tweeter blends nicely to produce a clear and crisp sound. Aluminum is an ideal material because it is lightweight and yet extremely rigid. A light cone means the speaker is fast which is important for accuracy and detail; the more rigid the cone membrane the less the cone warps during movement, again resulting in a more accurate performance. The tweeter is clear and bright without ever sounding harsh. The aluminum is anodized, adding strength, durability and improved protection from the elements.
Like all of the speakers in our HDX line, the HDX-R80 includes an aimable tweeter that is recessed behind the grille. This allows the highest, most directional frequencies to be aimed at the primary listening area while allowing the speaker to maintain its flush-mount appearance.
Tone is controlled through separate +/-3dB switches for both the high and low frequencies. This feature (normally found only on more expensive speakers) allows you to customize the sound to your room and personal taste.
All of the speakers in our HDX line are suitable for use in high moisture areas, such as bathrooms with showers and outdoors as long as the speaker is installed where it is not hit directly by rain. In addition to the rust-proof aluminum woofer and tweeter, the moisture-resistant design includes stainless steel screws and coated crossover components. While the trimless grille is made of powder coated steel (and attaches with magnets built-in to the speaker frame), the press-fit grille is made of powder-coated aluminum and is what we typically recommend when placing the speaker in high moisture areas.
The speaker is easy to install and includes all mounting hardware, a template for cutting the hole, and an Owner's Manual with an installation guide and tips to ensure your speakers look and sound great for years to come. Both of the included grille options and the polymer frame can be painted to match your decor.
All HTD speakers include a 5-year warranty and 30-day no-risk guarantee.
- 8" treated aluminum cone with butyl rubber surround for long life
- 1" ferrofluid cooled anodized aluminum tweeter
- "Ball and Socket" pivoting tweeter can be aimed towards your listening area
- Power handling: 110 watts RMS; 165 watts program
- Frequency response: 40 Hz - 22 kHz
- Quick-turn "dog leg" brackets for easy installation (no rough-in kit required)
- Extremely low-profile design - two flush-mount grille options included with every speaker provide a clean, professional appearance
- +/- 3dB tweeter switch and +/- 3dB woofer switch allow you to fine tune each speaker to your room and personal taste
- Reinforced resonance-absorbing ABS polymer frame
- Moisture-resistant design includes stainless steel screws, coated crossover components, and a no-rust powder-coated aluminum grille
- Grilles and frame can be painted to match any decor
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Sensitivity: 89dB
- Dimensions: 10-1/2" diameter x 4-1/4" depth
- Hole Cutout (diameter): 9-3/4" (template included with speaker)
- Minimum install depth: 4-3/8"; Maximum wall thickness: 1-1/4"
- Weight (per piece): 5 lbs
Specifications are preliminary and subject to change.