HD-W80 High Definition In-Wall Speakers
The HD-W80 includes upgraded components for rooms where sound is at a premium. In-wall speakers are not usually known for their low frequency response, but the large 8" aluminum woofer really delivers with controlled and solid bass.
The aimable aluminum/ceramic tweeter provides excellent clarity and detail and is hidden behind the grille for a professional, flush-mount appearance. The +/-3dB switches on both the tweeter and woofer offer acoustical control to compensate for speaker positioning and room anomalies. Both the grille and frame can be painted to match your decor.
The final production of the HD-W80 has sold out. The HD-W80 is being replaced by the HDX-W80. Read more about this exciting new design.
Out of Stock
The HD-W80 is an exceptional pair of in-wall speakers. It is ideal for large rooms (200+ square feet), rooms with 10' or higher ceilings, or any room where deeper bass is preferred. The large 8" aluminum woofer produces deep, punchy low frequencies and the aluminum/ceramic tweeter blends nicely to produce a clear and crisp sound.
Aluminum is an ideal material because it is lightweight and yet extremely rigid. A light cone means the speaker is fast which is important for accuracy and detail; the more rigid the cone membrane the less the cone warps during movement, again resulting in a more accurate performance. The tweeter is specially bonded with a thin layer of ceramic which helps eliminate ringing and harshness often associated with other metal dome tweeters.
Like all of the speakers in our High Definition line, the HD-W80 includes an aimable tweeter that is recessed behind the grille. This allows the highest, most directional frequencies to be aimed at the primary listening area while allowing the speaker to maintain its flush-mount appearance. Tone is controlled through separate +/-3dB switches for both the high and low frequencies. This feature (normally found only on much more expensive speakers) allows you to customize the sound to your room and personal taste.
Generally, because the lowest frequencies in a surround sound setup get redirected to a powered subwoofer, we will recommend using the HD-W65 instead of the HD-W80. The money you save is better spent toward a better subwoofer or other AV equipment. The HD-W80 is recommended in rooms where you will not have a subwoofer (such as most Whole-House Audio solutions) and/or in rooms where very high volume is your primary concern.
All of the speakers in our High Definition line are suitable for use in high moisture areas, such as bathrooms with showers and outdoors as long as the speaker is installed where it is not hit directly by rain. In addition to the rust-proof aluminum woofer and tweeter, the moisture-resistant design includes stainless steel screws, coated crossover parts, and a powder-coated aluminum grille that will not rust.
The speaker is easy to install and includes all mounting hardware, a template for cutting the hole, and an Owner's Manual with an installation guide and tips to ensure your speakers look and sound great for years to come. The grille and frame can be painted to match your decor.
- 8" treated aluminum cone with butyl rubber surround for long life
- 1" ferrofluid cooled aluminum tweeter with ceramic coating
- "Ball and Socket" tweeter can be aimed at listening area
- Power handling: 110 watts RMS; 165 watts program
- Frequency response: 40 Hz - 22 kHz
- Quick-turn "dog ear" brackets for easy installation (no rough-in kit required)
- Flush-mount grille and frame provides clean, professional appearance
- +/- 3dB tweeter switch and +/- 3dB woofer switch help fine tune the speaker to your room and personal taste
- Reinforced resonant-absorbing ABS polymer frame
- Moisture-resistant design includes stainless steel screws, coated crossover parts, and a powder-coated aluminum grille that will not rust
- Grille and frame can be painted to match any decor
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Sensitivity: 89dB
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 14" x 10" x 3 3/8"
- Hole Cutout (HxW): 12 3/4" x 8 3/4" template included with speakers
- Minimum install depth: 3 1/2"; Maximum wall thickness: 1 3/8"
- Weight (per piece): 6 lbs