MP-W80 Single Speaker
Sold here as a single speaker, the MP-W80 is an in-wall speaker that is perfect for small rooms playing "mono" instead of stereo. It is also sometimes useful as a center speaker in a surround sound system.
The aimable silk dome tweeter provides excellent detail and is hidden behind the grille for a professional, flush-mount appearance. The +/-3dB switch on the tweeter offers acoustical control to compensate for speaker positioning and room anomalies. Both the grille and frame can be painted to match your decor.
Sold here as a single speaker, the MP-W80 is an in-wall speaker perfect for medium-sized rooms where only mono sound is required. It is also sometimes used in small surround sound installations.
In home theater, it can be used for the 6th (back center) channel and occasionally is necessary as a front center channel speaker when cables have been run for a ceiling installation (in most cases, we recommend that the center channel speaker be as close to the screen as possible and on the same plane).
When using a single MP-W80 in a room for whole-house audio, you will have to choose between listening to the left channel of a stereo recording or the right channel, unless you have an amplifier that will "sum" these two channels before sending the signal (now mono) to the speaker. Our whole-house multi-channel amplifier includes this feature. If your amplifier does not include this feature and you can only fit one speaker into the room, it is possible to combine the left and right channel at the speaker BUT you must use a special speaker (not the MP-W80) AND you must run 4-conductor cable (or two 2-conductor cables) to the speaker, i.e. run your cable as if two separate speakers are being installed at the same location. Click here for more information.
The 6.5" woofer produces surprisingly punchy bass for a driver of this small size. The silk dome tweeter blends nicely to produce a clear and crisp sound. Like all of the speakers in our Multi Purpose line, the MP-W80 includes an aimable tweeter that is recessed behind the grille so the most directional frequencies can be "aimed" at the primary listening area and yet the speaker maintains a flush-mount appearance. Tone is controlled through a +/-3dB switch on the highest frequencies. This feature allows you to customize the sound to your room and personal taste.
The speaker is easy to install and includes all mounting hardware, a template for cutting the hole, and an Owner's Manual with an installation guide and tips to ensure your speaker looks and sounds great for years to come. The grille and frame can be painted to match your decor.
- 8" polypropylene cone with butyl rubber surround for long life
- 1" silk dome tweeter can be aimed at the listening area
- "Ball and Socket" tweeter can be aimed at listening area
- Power handling: 80 watts RMS, 100 watts program
- Frequency response: 55 Hz - 20 kHz
- Quick-turn "dog ear" brackets for easy installation (no rough-in kit required)
- Flush-mount grille and frame provides clean, professional appearance
- +/- 3dB tweeter switch helps fine tune the speaker to your room and personal taste
- Reinforced resonant-absorbing ABS polymer frame
- Moisture-resistant design includes powder-coated aluminum grille that will not rust
- Grille and frame can be painted to match any decor
- Impedance: 8 ohms
- Sensitivity: 90dB
- Dimensions (HxWxD): 13 5/16" x 10" x 3 3/8"
- Hole Cutout (HxW): 12" x 8 3/4" template included with speakers
- Minimum install depth: 3 5/8"; Maximum wall thickness: 1 1/2"
- Weight (per piece): 5.5 lbs